Wednesday, November 24, 2010

TokyoKyoto





I have never been an overly savvy person when it comes to wires and circuits. I have never even attempted building a circuit before, and was absolutely terrified of electrocuting myself or starting a fire. (Fortunately, neither happened.)

For this assignment, I wanted to stick with the basic motor and switch circuit. I wanted a box and to make something spin that you could easily turn on and off. Trying to come up with an idea that I could use in a theme throughout this course, I chose to take inspiration from my recent trip to Japan and create two contrasting halves. The box itself is covered with photographs of a modern Tokyo. Skyscrapers, arcades, electronics, the (incredibly efficient) subway, and cityscapes. The wires, battery, and motor were hidden inside the box, with only the switch sticking out. The top is taken from a handmade hair ornament popular with the geisha of Kyoto, a far more traditional and relaxed city. Hanakanzashi are starched and folded pieces of fabric that create flowers and leaves and are worn in Maiko's hair to represent the different seasons.

While the sewing of these flowers and leaves was the least difficult, attaching them to something that would latter attach itself to the motor and spin, was perhaps the hardest thing to accomplish. I have little skill in building, except for the standard tape, scissors, glue, and string. All rather primitive. This forced me to enlist my father, self proclaimed building expert, to come up with an idea on how to fit everything together.

In the end I believe it all came together rather well, and I am happy with the outcome. Though perhaps in the future I will expand my knowledge of building material.

1 comment: